TAD Laboratories Evolution Two Floorstanding Speaker (Pair)
TAD Labs' Evolution Two is a blend of serene ambience and acoustic artistry, A floor-standing speaker system that has emerged from the long tradition of TAD’s proprietary speaker technologies.
Flawless, brilliant high-frequency details
As is the case with the critically acclaimed TAD-E1TX and TAD-ME1 speaker systems, the TAD-E2 features a tweeter with a 25-mm beryllium diaphragm that delivers a polished sound in the mid-to- high frequency range—a signature of all TAD speakers. The directivity of the tweeter is optimally controlled by a newly developed waveguide on which it is mounted. The guide is made of rigid cast aluminum to suppress unwanted resonance and helps disperse soundwaves smoothly over an extended frequency range. The shape of the diaphragm is determined by an advanced optimization method based on the HSDOM (Harmonized Synthetic Diaphragm Optimum Method) computer analysis to provide a frequency response up to 60 kHz.
Powerful expression of clarity in the mid to low range
The combination of a newly developed MACC (Multi-layered Aramid Composite Cone) diaphragm and a delta bracing structure incorporated into the twin woofers produces a powerful bass with smooth directivity changes. The vibration-suppressing center cap with excellent flexibility and the corrugated surround back-coated with damping material contribute to a clear, distortion-free, powerful mid- to low-range sound. In addition, a long voice coil with a short magnetic gap, which is responsible for delivering considerable driving force with exceptional linearity, has the long pole piece structure that generates a symmetrical magnetic flux and is positioned in a double short ring to minimize its inductance fluctuations over the entire frequency range and reduce dynamic distortions.
Rich, natural bass reproduction
The port positioned on the bottom of the enclosure has openings to the front and the rear, essentially creating a port area the size of a large bass reflex port. This ingenious design lets the air pass through the port more slowly and contributes to a clear sound with a high signal-to-noise ratio. Embodying the long tradition of delivering single-point-of-source sound for which all TAD speakers are known, the TAD-E2 employs a slanted smallest-possible baffle that reduces the diffraction of the sound waves to deliver precise sound-field reproduction. The twin woofers are mounted to the optimum positions relative to the size of the enclosure to reduce internal standing waves. Inside the enclosure, sound-absorbing materials are positioned midair onto the braces that make up the SILENT (Structurally Inert Laminated Enclosure Technology) enclosure to control resonance effectively.
The network filter that optimizes the phase rotation at the crossover frequency reduces the sound pressure level from the bottom woofer while bringing its phase characteristics in line with those of the upper woofer. The network filters for the tweeter and the upper woofer have dedicated circuit patterns and are mounted in such a way to minimize interference between them. The bottom woofer has its own network assembly, which is mounted separately from others to mitigate the effect of magnetic flux leakage.
- A 10-mm-thick base plate made of solid steel is attached to the bottom of the enclosure to add sturdiness to the port structure.
- The combination of three spikes and a tip-resistant spike attached to the base enables the firm placement of the speaker system on the floor.
- The input terminal on the back allows bi-wiring connection, as is the case with other TAD speakers in the Evolution Series.
- Model No TAD-E2-WN
- Type 2.5-way bass-reflex floor-standing speaker system
- Drive Units Woofer: 15.5 cm (6 1/2 in.) cone x 2, Tweeter: 2.5 cm (1 in.) beryllium dome
- Frequency response 30 Hz to 60 kHz
- Crossover frequencies 90 Hz, 2.8 kHz
- Maximum input 150 W
- Sensitivity 87 dB (2.83 V, 1 m)
- Nominal impedance 6 Ω (Minimum impedance: 4.5 Ω)
- Weight 32 kg (70.5 lb) per unit
- Dimensions 320 mm (W) x 1,085 mm (H) (1,113 mm with spikes) x 405 mm (D) / 12 5/8 in. (W) x 42 23/32 in. (H) (43 13/16 in. with spikes) x 15 15/16 in. (D)
- Accessories Woofer grille x 2; short cable x 2: spike x 3; auxiliary leg x 2; spike holder x 3; anti-slip pad x 4; overturn preventing spike x 2; owner’s manual
Awards & Reviews