Amphion Krypton3 Floorstanding Speaker [Pair]
Krypton is Amphion’s reference project now close to 15 years in making. The Krypton3 is highly innovative three-way reference speaker, which makes it possible to enjoy full range, realistic level orchestral performances without owning a concert hall. In your current home. Or the next.
With a plethora of high-end speaker brands in the marketplace, the music connoisseur or home theatre devotee faces a range of selection challenges as they navigate through the multitude of models and the many claims of ‘best sound’. Firstly, in this quest for the audio ‘holy grail’, it is important to define what is meant by ‘best sound’. For example, is it the unit that rounds-up the recording – masking its defects – while delivering a ‘pleasant’ end-product for the ears though far from the original? Alternately, is it a detailed, revealing, and emotionally engaging sound that communicates the artist’s true intent? Secondly, we need to consider how these speakers fit into our listening environment. Are they too large or too small for our room? How would they behave given the room’s acoustics? Will they sound equally as good if we change the room or even change the house?
Amphion Loudspeakers addresses these issues through its Krypton3. This has been an ongoing project over a period of more than 15 years of development and refinement. The updated Krypton3 is a highly innovative three-way reference speaker, and the successor of the multiple award-winning former namesake – the Krypton2. Now the Krypton3 makes it possible for listeners to enjoy full-range, realistic-level orchestral performances without owning a concert hall – right in the middle of their own living room.
The updated Krypton3 employs a completely redesigned crossover, utilizing Amphion’s revolutionary approach in its implementation. This development was originally introduced in the company’s studio monitor line, where the accuracy of reproduction and detail are of extreme importance. The highly innovative cardioid midrange integrated into Krypton3 loudspeakers allows them to perform exceptionally well – even in small rooms or close to large windows. Krypton3’s unique design means the room’s acoustics are irrelevant, as the unit can easily deal with any sonic irregularities which traditional speaker-designs cannot cope with.
Krypton3’s design further minimizes unwanted reflections from both the side and back walls (by up to 20 dBs), so that you hear less of the room and more of the speaker. The unique crossover approach, together with the new double-vented tube and proprietary papyrus 8” midrange, convey the musical message better than ever before. The midrange clarity and waveguide, coupled with the power and immediacy achieved by the large cone area of the two 8″ units, are capable of moving huge amount of air while preserving the nuances.
Argon delivers audio the way it was intended, and the way you deserve to hear it. With nothing added and nothing taken away, the truthful sound reproduction takes you deeper inside your music. Whether you’re discovering new sounds or enjoying familiar favourites, the Argon series brings you closer to the original performance and opens up dimensions that you always knew were there, but couldn’t hear.
- Three-way design configuration with two midranges (or two mid-woofers) in a cardioid enclosure placed vertically above-and-below the tweeter, operating in parallel for a three-way crossover.
- Highly innovative cardioid midrange allows Krypton3 to perform well in small rooms, close to big windows, and under other acoustic irregularities that other traditional speakers cannot cope with.
- Incorporates U/D/D – Uniformly Directive Diffusion – technology to help speakers keep their clarity and naturalness, and reduce unwanted sound reflections from both side and back walls.
- Side-mounted woofers (in a vented enclosure) so speakers can be positioned with the woofers facing either inside (for a standard room placement) or outside (for a broader soundstage).
- Handmade in Finland
- Operating principle Three-way, vented
- Drivers 1″ titanium (integrator) tweeter, 2 x 8” paper-papyrus midrange, 10″ aluminium woofer
- Weight 70 kg (154 lbs)
- Crossover points 160 Hz / 1600 Hz
- Sensitivity 89 dB
- Frequency response 21 – 25.000 Hz -3dB
- Power recommendation 100 – 300 W