TEAC TN-4D - Vinyl Turntable with Phono Stage and USB
The TN-4D is a direct-drive, analog turntable with an elegant, low-profile design, made possible by the use of a newly-developed brushless DC servo motor.
Our new brushless DC motor (with feedback control system) achieves crystal-locked speed stability and smoother rotation while also eliminating cogging*. This low-profile motor allowed us to design a plinth that’s extraordinarily sleek and stylish compared to that of most other direct drive turntables. The new tonearm employs knife-edge, pivot-point bearings, developed in collaboration with SAEC Corporation, a world-famous, high-end tonearm manufacturer. The result is an insightful, high-resolution sound quality that tonearms with conventional bearings can’t match. Partnering it is a carefully designed PHONO EQ amplifier that allows you to directly connect the turntable to the line-level inputs of your existing hi-fi system. A high quality NJM8080 op-amp, specially designed for hi-fi applications by New Japan Radio Corporation, is employed to convey the finest of musical detail. Additionally, a USB port on the back panel allows you to digitally archive your vinyl collection via your PC/Mac.
To extract the music from your vinyl, the TN-4D comes with a highly-regarded Oyster MM cartridge from SUMIKO – a legendary American cartridge manufacturer. Noted for its innate musicality, the cartridge comes pre-installed on the headshell at the factory, allowing near ‘plug and play’ operation. The S-shaped tonearm meanwhile allows for quick cartridge/headshell swaps, so users can alter the sound quality by experimenting with different cartridges, if the desire takes them.
The TN-4D is an analog turntable that achieves highly accurate rotational speeds and is very distinctive, for a direct-drive design, thanks to its sleek and stylish aesthetics.
* Cogging is a phenomenon in which the periodic attraction of the armature and rotor inside the motor is dependent on the rotation angle, resulting in a fine pulsing. For example, if you turn the axle of a motor with your fingers, you'll feel the rotation occurring in steps. This phenomenon is known as cogging. In order to eliminate cogging on a direct-drive turntable, a motor needs to have large numbers of poles, along with complex circuits and a mechanism to achieve smooth rotation. As a result, most turntable direct-drive units are relatively large, which is why the resulting turntables are so bulky.
USB digital output A USB port on the back panel delivers CD-quality digital audio to your PC/Mac, allowing you to record/archive your vinyl in a high quality, digital audio format. Once you have archived your vinyl to digital, it’s a simple matter to listen to them while out and about, via a smartphone/portable audio player, or in your car (by burning them onto a CD-R or transferring them to a memory card/stick).
And to ensure pristine signal transfer, gold-plated PHONO/LINE output terminals are employed to prevent analog audio signals from losing quality as a result of oxidation.
- Direct-drive analog turntable
- Crystal-locked speed stability, thanks to a new brushless DC motor with feedback control
- Die-cast aluminium platter
- Knife-edge, pivot-point tonearm base, designed by high-end tonearm manufacturer SAEC
- Multi-layer piano black or natural walnut veneer finish
- Built-in PHONO EQ amplifier for high-quality sound (PHONO/LINE switchable)
- Audiophile-grade NJM8080 op-amp used in PHONO EQ stage
- Digital recording on PC/Mac via USB digital audio output
- 2-speed drive offering 33-⅓ and 45 rpm
- Gold-plated oxidation-resistant output connectors
- Oyster MM cartridge by SUMIKO
- Shock-absorbing insulating feet
- GND terminal
- RoHS compliant
|Motor||Brush-less DC Motor|
|Rotation Speeds||33-⅓ rpm, 45 rpm|
|S/N Ratio||67dB or higher (A-weighted, 20kHz LPF)|
|Needle Pressure Range||0g to 5.0g|
|Compatible Cartridge Weight||4.0g to 13.0g
14g to 23g (including Head-shell)
|Head-shell and Cartridge sections|
|Type||MM-type (SUMIKO Oyster factory installed)|
|Output Voltage||4.0mV (1kHz)|
|Needle Pressure||1.5 to 2.5g (appropriate value: 2.3g)|
|Head-shell weight||10g (including nuts, screws, and wires)|
|Compatible Stylus||Styluses for SUMIKO Oyster|
|Connector||RCA Pin jack × 1 pair (PHONO/LINE switchable)|
|Connector||USB B-type (DC 5V 100mA USB Bus power required)|
|Audio Format||PCM, 8k/11.025k/16k/22.5k/32k/44.1k/48kHz, 16bit|
|Operating Power||AC 100 to 240V, 50/60Hz|
|Standby Power||0.5W or less|
|Overall Dimensions (W×H×D)||420 × 117 × 356 mm /
16.5" × 4.6" × 14.0"
|Weight||Approx. 6.1kg / 13.5 lbs.|
|Included Accessories||Felt Mat, EP Adapter, Counter Weight, Head-shell (SUMIKO Oyster installed), Platter, Dust Cover, Hinges × 2, RCA Audio cable with GND terminal, AC Adapter (GPE036W-24015), Owner's Manual (including Warranty Card)|