Emotiva XMC-2 - 9.1.6 Channel AV Pre-Amplifier Processor
The XMC-2 is a state-of-the-art surround sound processor - designed from the ground up to serve as the nerve center of a modern home theater or surround sound music system. The bit-perfect video switches in the XMC-2 ensure that you’ll get the best possible image quality from the latest HDR and Dolby Vision 4k UHD discs, and the advanced audio decoding engine, audio processing hardware, and room correction options guarantee you true audiophile sound quality and performance.
Unlike other surround sound processors, the XMC-2 is not only a superb home theater processor, but also a true audiophile stereo component. When we set out to design the XMC-2 we had some relatively lofty goals. We wanted to design a processor that would support the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object oriented surround sound formats, with plenty of channels to fulfill the needs of our most demanding customers, and sound quality and performance equal to or better than the best stereo equipment currently on the market. And, along with that, it had to deliver superb bit-perfect picture quality, and support the latest HDR and Dolby Vision 4k UHD video content. And, finally, it had to be relatively simple to configure and operate, so that our customers would actually be able to take full advantage of its advanced performance and capabilities.
Audio Operating Modes (modes determine how the audio signal is processed by the XMC-2):
- Reference Stereo Mode: Purist stereo mode with no bass management; analog signals remain pure analog.
- Direct Mode: Minimal processing with bass management.
- Surround Mode: Full surround sound processing, with bass management and room correction.
- Stereo Mode: Full bass management and room correction for stereo input signals.
- All Stereo Mode
Decoding and Processing
Surround Sound Processing Support:
- Dolby Atmos (up to 9.1.6).
- Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.2).
- Dolby Digital Plus.
- Dolby Digital.
- DTS:X (up to 7.1.4)
- DTS-HD Master Audio.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.
- DTS 5.1.
- Multi-Channel PCM.
Digital Post Processing Support:
- Dolby Surround Upmixer.
- DTS Neural:X.
Displays and Controls
Front Panel Display:
- Graphical, 64 x 256 resolution, blue OLED display.
Controls and Remote Control Options:
- Full sized machined aluminum infrared remote control with discrete buttons for HDMI input selection, trim adjustments, and other major functions.
- Remote control apps - available for Apple and Windows computers and Android phones.
- Integration with universal infrared remote controls and popular infrared and network operated whole-home control systems.
- Four flexible Trigger Outputs can be independently configured to activate amplifiers or other trigger-enabled equipment.
Inputs / Outputs
Analog Audio Inputs:
- (1) pair; stereo: Reference quality analog audio (balanced XLR).
- (3) pairs; stereo: Reference quality analog audio (unbalanced).
Analog Audio Outputs:
- (1) set; 16 channels: Main analog audio outputs (balanced XLR).
- (1) pair; stereo: analog line level Zone 2 output (unbalanced).
- (1) high quality 1/8” stereo headphone output.
Digital Video Inputs and Outputs:
- (8): HDMI digital video inputs: HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 (all inputs support HDMI 2.0b and HDR, including dynamic HDR and Dolby Vision).
- (2): HDMI digital video outputs: HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 (one with CEC and ARC). (both outputs support HDMI 2.0b and HDR - including dynamic HDR and Dolby Vision).
Digital Audio Inputs:
- Internal high-performance AM/FM tuner.
- (3): Toslink optical S/PDIF digital audio (up to 24/192).
- (3): Coax (RCA) electrical S/PDIF digital audio (up to 24/192).
- (1): AES/EBU (XLR) digital audio.
- (1): USB Type B digital audio (UAC2 USB audio up to 24/192k)
- Digital PCM and DSD audio supported on all HDMI inputs and USB input
Digital Audio Outputs:
- (1): Toslink optical S/PDIF digital audio.
- (1): Coax (RCA) electrical S/PDIF digital audio.
Cutting Edge Operating System and Processors
Main System Processor:
- The XMC-2 is controlled by our own proprietary Linux-based operating system, and by several powerful DSP engines, each running custom software code.
- The main control functions on the XMC-2 are handled by a Texas Instruments AM-1808 Sitara Arm9 32 bit 375MHz processor.
- The XMC_2 is a pure video switch; video inputs are switched directly to the appropriate output without any unnecessary processing. Video switching on theXMC-2 is handled by three Panasonic MN864788 High Speed LSI 4k UHD Video Switches.
- All audio decoding and post processing is handled by twin Analog Devices, dual-core, 450 MHz DSP engines.
- Audio digital-to-analog conversion is performed by AKM AK4490 Verita DACs (operating in fully balanced Mono mode on the front three channels; fully balanced stereo mode for the remaining channels).
Dimensions & Weight
- Unboxed: 17” Wide x 15.5” Deep x 5.25” High (not counting feet).
- Unboxed: 17” Wide x 15.5” Deep x 5.75” High (with feet).
- Boxed: 22" Wide x 19" Deep x 10" High
- Unboxed 22 lbs.
- Boxed 31 lbs.