ATC SCM7 - Audiophile Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)
The ATC SCM7 employs all the specialist 'soft dome' technology found in the reference systems built for the recording industry. It is this design feature among others that contribute to the wide bandwidth and exceptional dynamic range of this loudspeaker. The speakers have a cabinet volume of just 7 litres hence the model name and are best suited to more modest size listening environments.
Manufactured in house to exacting tolerances, ATC's drivers are legendary for their many design innovations. For instance, the hand-wound short voice coils use only high density edge-wound flat OFC wire and operate in a precision long magnetic gap. Front and rear magnetic venting not only reduces airflow and noise, but increases power handling and long term reliability. Meanwhile, massive motor assemblies offer no-compromise optimization for each voice coil diameter.
SCM7 benefits both acoustically and aesthetically from a curved cabinet construction. This cabinet is braced and laminated for high rigidity and damping and then clad in real cherry or black ash veneer. Improved crossovers featuring metallised polypropylene capacitors, large air cored inductors and ceramic wire-round resistors offer superior power handling and clarity.
The SCM7 exhibits an easy load for amplifiers to drive albeit a slightly larger amplifier is suggested with 75 to 300 watts on tap. The SCM7 is designed for optimum performance without the grille but are supplied with full frontal perforated metal items in dark grey if you wish to use them.
- New ATC designed and built 25mm soft dome HF unit with precision alloy wave guide.
- 125mm ATC mid/bass unit with integral soft dome.
- In-house, hand-wound precision flat wire coil.
- Massive optimised motor assembly.
- Flat impedance curve allowing easy load for amplifiers.
- 5 year warranty.
- Drivers: HF ATC 25mm Neodymium Soft Dome, Mid/LF ATC 125mm SC
- Matched Response: ±0.5dB
- Frequency Response (-6dB): 60Hz-22kHz
- Dispersion: ±80° Coherent Horizontal, ±10° Coherent Vertical
- Sensitivity: 84dB @ 1W @ 1metre
- Max SPL: 103dB
- Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
- Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz
- Connectors: Binding Posts/4mm Plugs, bi-wire
- Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 300x174x215mm (grill adds 28mm depth)
- Weight: 7.5kg
- Finishes: Black Ash, Satin Black and Satin White
- SCM7 Review, Stereophile, February 2014
- HiFi Choice Group Test winner May 2014
- SCM7 Review, Home Theater Review, August 2014
- SCM7 Review, Hi-Fi Pig, February 2016
- SCM7, SIA2-100, CD2 System Review, Gramophone Mag Sept 2019
- SCM7 Review, Fidelity Magazin, January 2020
- SCM7 & SIA2-100 System Review, Stereonet, March 2020
- SCM7 Review, HVT, March 2020 (in Dutch)
- SCM7 Review Hi-Fi Critic June 2020
- SCM7 Review, The Ear, October 2020